Last month I started the process of repairing my original GPW passenger fender to replace the temporary reproduction fender. With the welding and overall repairing done, it was time to swap the fenders… but things didn’t go as planned making what should have been a small project into a two-month project requiring a complete realignment of the body tub!
A bit of a different update for these past few weeks… First, a special project for Christmas as I redo a 4×4 ‘Jeep’ ride-on vehicle for my nephew, then finishing the ignition switch knob project! And a recap of some Jeep-related items I got for Christmas.
Windshield weatherseal, NOS Filterette, & more!
Finally, some more work on the Jeep! I finally got around to replacing the over sprayed with paint windshield weather seal, which ended up a bigger task than I thought! I also finally got a NOS Tobe Filterette to replace my home-made mini filterette bypass that I had on the Jeep. That project took several days after some setbacks. During the process, I also fixed the annoying air filter wing screws that always seem to break. And lastly, I got another piece to the First Aid kit!
Small Projects and Extras
With things at a bit of a standstill as I figure out my next move with the strange rear axle noise, I didn’t do much this week. However, there are several side projects I’ve done the last few months that I’ve yet to cover with the Jeep, so I decided to compile them into this week’s update including a F stamped keychain, wartime Fire Extinguisher and modern Extinguisher, Push-Pull switch tags, and more!
Alternator that looks like a Generator
Having a one-wire Delco alternator on the Jeep has always bothered me, it looks out of place and is a dead give-away that the Jeep has something post-war on it. So, I looked into a Powermaster Alternator that looks like a generator… and after several modifications, I got it to work! Here’s the entire process from start to finish!
More fake Rivets, radioactive spark plugs, and a GPW project
This was a bit of a slower week with only some smaller projects. After last week’s success with the fake rivets on the passenger seat, I decided to tackle the rear seat in the same way with even better results. I also found some correct ‘radioactive’ spark plugs for the Jeep! Finally, I tackle a project that asks, what if Ford was producing GPW Jeeps during a pandemic?
Fake rivets, Fire Extinguisher, and more F stamps!
This week had some fun smaller projects on the Jeep such as adding ‘fake rivets’ to the passenger seat swivel bracket, moving the custom starter switch so I could mount the Fire Extinguisher in the bracket, and getting my safety strap large bolts F stamped! Plus some different looks at the Jeep.
Corsair, Voltage Regulator, Tires, and another Jeep!
This week saw quite a bit of Jeep related things… I took the Jeep out to the Air Museum and got some shots with a Corsair, I continued research on the Firestone Tires, finally stamped my Voltage Regulator, and helped to save a friend’s Jeep from rusting worse!
Ax Staining, Axles, Alternator, Fuel Lines, and more
This week started slow, but lots of projects piled up! Starting off with trying to get my ax to stain darker, getting shock brackets and a torque reaction spring to restore, removing bearings and racers from the rear axle, new axle drums, and what started as making the fan belt tighter that turned into a huge multi-day project!
Electronic work, axle work, and canvas dying!
This week progress slowed a bit down on the Jeep, but still a lot of work done. I worked on replacing the dimmer switch, fixing the ammeter gauge, more wartime axle work, and dying my super faded canvas water bucket back to OD Green!