This week’s update includes a trip to the Planes of Fame Air Museum to see a TBM Avenger, more updates on my Fuel Sender float, some mail call items, and a complete look at how a Fuel Strainer works and restoration!
A new flea market find, while not a WW2 Jeep jack, it’s pretty much the same with a slightly different design! I take a look at how it works and the full restoration. I then shift focus to an ongoing Fuel Sender issue. Also, I went to the March Field Museum in Riverside and took a look at the Jeeps there.
Last month I started the process of repairing my original GPW passenger fender to replace the temporary reproduction fender. With the welding and overall repairing done, it was time to swap the fenders… but things didn’t go as planned making what should have been a small project into a two-month project requiring a complete realignment of the body tub!
The last week has been pretty busy with work done on the Jeep each day. The pace has certainly slowed down dramatically, and many of the projects I have left take a long time to complete, so it’s not as productive feeling since these projects are tedious. The good news is the Jeep RUNS! The bad news… there’s another issue.
Painting and Grill Work
Finally was able to get some more painting in, mainly due to setting up a paint booth because I was so fed up with the wind! Progress is coming along, as most things get painted the closer I get to putting them back on the Jeep!
Painting and metal work
Not as much done this week as I was hoping, but still, little victories here and there getting closer and closer. Waiting on calm wind so I can really hit the painting now that I have another gallon of OD Green paint. Also, hope to order the reproduction body tub in the next day or two.
More Painting and small jobs
Another week of smaller jobs here and there getting various items prepped for the eventual return to the Jeep. Some of the larger items, like the fender and grill, have been painted with a final coat of primer and OD Green!
This has been another busy week with lots of activities on the Jeep, from finishing the Voltage Regulator to finally welding one of the fenders and grill! Then from welding to sanding and adding filler to the gaps left for a good finish.
This past week has seen a lot of work, and I’m finally reaching the HALFWAY point of this restoration with the (finally) painting of the frame! There’s a lot of extra work including electrical checks, final engine painting, and the return of major parts from sandblasting!
This past week has had a lot of activity on the Jeep with more small projects as I wait for good non-windy weather to paint the frame. Lots of electrical items have arrived for the Jeep, and I was able to test most of them with the battery. Some fun surprises! Work is about done on the engine with the oil pan reinstalled, just needs to be put back on the frame once the frame is painted.