A small update on what’s been going on during this otherwise quiet month of November! I finished the ax bracket project I started in the last update, got a new flea market find, changed out my pinup artwork on the Jeep, took a look at my fender that needs some welding, and more!
The complete ‘clackity’ Axle Saga
It’s been 5 months now since I replaced the CJ axles on my Jeep with original GPW wartime ones. I’ve been plagued with a ‘clackity’ sound that just won’t go away after all these months, lots of work, lots of money, countless tests, etc. So I thought for this week I’d go through the entire story from start to finish. It’s been frustrating, to say the least! Join me on this ongoing journey…
Second GPW Rear Axle… Does it make a sound?
Finally, after about three weeks of work I’ve finished the SECOND GPW wartime axle… but the big question is: Does the mysterious clackity sound from the first GPW axle go away? Find out in this update along with some video links from the new GoPro!
A new Star, more axle work, and engine item upgrades!
At long last, the hood is finished! This is PART 2 of adding the stencil markings to the hood with a brand new star with a big unveiling of the finished Jeep with new markings and axles! After that, I start work on trying to figure out what the clackity sound is coming from the rear of the Jeep by re-opening up the rear axle and diving into the carrier. This includes replacing the spider gears, side gears, and more. I also remove the pinion and check everything out before putting it all back together. Finally, I re-add the heat shield for the master cylinder and work on enhancing the engine with some new items.
New Year, New Axles!
Kicking off the New Year, things are in high gear as I continue work on replacing the CJ axles with the wartime GPW axles I’ve restored over the last year. This week I focused on reinstalling the front axle, starting off with adding the combat rims/tires, reinstalling the springs, adding the Torque Reaction Spring, and reinstalling the shocks! I also took some extra time to take plain head bolts on the fenders and turn them into F stamped bolts!
Rear Axle Extravaganza!
This past week was a whirlwind of work on the rear axle replacement, finally removing the CJ axles and bringing in the wartime GPW one with combat rims and correct Firestone tires! It wasn’t all fun, though, as I had to weld underneath the Jeep, ran into some issues reinstalling the springs, and more. But still, making progress!
Axle replacement begins!
This past week was another busy one with the start of one of the last major projects on my Jeep’s restoration… replacing the post-war axles with the 1943 GPW axles! I started work on the rear of the Jeep first, taking most of the week to clean/restore my springs, shocks, and other items in prep for the new axle!
Fire Extinguishers, more Combat Rims, etc.
After last week’s big Combat Rim installation tutorial, this week went by a lot slower. I completed the rest of the combat rims (and I have a few extra notes to mention about them), worked on a post-war Fire Extinguisher, continued the ongoing chronicles of the GPW axles restoration, some ‘artsy’ shots of the Jeep, and more.
COMBAT RIMS & TIRES!
This week’s update is an exciting one… COMBAT RIMS! I finally have a complete set of Combat Rims to replace the CJ rims on my Jeep, along with the correct Firestone tires! In this update I’ll take you through the entire prepping, painting, and installing Combat Rims on tires! I also added a spare tire lock for the spare tire!