GPW Rear Axle

GPW Rear AxleThe complete ‘clackity’ Axle Saga

It’s been 5 months now since I replaced the CJ axles on my Jeep with original GPW wartime ones. I’ve been plagued with a ‘clackity’ sound that just won’t go away after all these months, lots of work, lots of money, countless tests, etc. So I thought for this week I’d go through the entire story from start to finish. It’s been frustrating, to say the least! Join me on this ongoing journey…

Continue reading “The complete ‘clackity’ Axle Saga”

T-84 Transmission and D-18 Transfer Case

T-84 Transmission and D-18 Transfer CaseTransmission goes back in the Jeep!

It’s been a month since the transmission and transfer case project started and it’s all lead up to this! It finally goes back in the Jeep. After a full tutorial on how to put it back in, I fill it with oil, reattach the driveshafts, and take it for a spin! How does it turn out? Well, you’ll have to read this update to see!

Continue reading “Transmission goes back in the Jeep!”

External Emergency Brake

External Emergency BrakeFinishing up the Transfer Case and rebuilding the Emergency Brake!

In this week’s update, I finish up the transfer case rebuild adding the yokes and the external emergency brake. I also explain how to adjust the e-brake according to the TM manuals. Finally, I finish off the T-84 Transmission with a new second gear and get repairs done to the cover. Also, some goodies that have arrived in the mail the last few weeks!

Continue reading “Finishing the Transfer Case & rebuilding the Emergency Brake!”

D-18 Transfer Case Play Checking

D-18 Transfer Case Play CheckingD-18 Transfer Case Rebuild!

After last week’s rebuild of the T-84 Transmission, it’s time to turn the sights to the D-18 Transfer Case with a full rebuild, shimming, and shaft play checking. This one is a bit more complicated than the T-84 as there are a lot more steps that require various things to happen at once. Almost halfway done with the transmission/transfer case restoration/rebuild project!

Continue reading “D-18 Transfer Case Rebuild!”

T-84 Transmission and D-18 Transfer Case

T-84 Transmission and D-18 Transfer CaseTransmission Project Continues…

After last week’s successful dismantling of the transfer case, this week I work on cleaning/painting the case to a nice OD Green! I also replaced some bushings in the T-84 transmission gears and realized some issues with another gear. Also, in this update, I show how the T-84 works in first, second, third, and reverse. Lastly, I finally found a war-time jerry can nozzle and show the differences between wartime and post-war nozzles!

Continue reading “Transmission Project Continues…”

D-18 Transfer Case Disassembled

D-18 Transfer Case DisassembledGears, Gears, and more Gears!

After a successful removal of the transmission last week and then the successful disassembly of the T-84 Transmission, this week I turned my sights to the transfer case! As with last week’s tutorial on the disassembly, this week also has a full tutorial on how to take apart a D-18 transfer case, which appears to be ALL original and never taken apart! I also work on priming and painting the T-84 and various other items in prep for the rebuild!

Continue reading “Gears, Gears, and more Gears!”

T-84 Transmission and D-18 Transfer Case

T-84 Transmission and D-18 Transfer CaseTransmission’s the name!

After unsuccessfully solving the clackity sound the last two weeks, it was time to dive into the last unexplored frontier on my Jeep… the transmission! This is the ONLY thing not completely restored. So, this week I started prep work to remove the transmission and transfer case from the Jeep. I show how to safely remove it while the body tub is on, separate the transmission box from the transfer case, and how to completely disassemble the transfer case! This is the start of another very big multi-week project!

Continue reading “Transmission’s the name!”

L134 Engine Block without Head

L134 Engine Block without HeadMajor work done this week!

In a quest to stop the coolant leaks, I took apart the engine head to replace a gasket, quite the ordeal! Plus, restoration work was finished on the replacement Jerry Can, and the accelerator linkage was adjusted. Felt like back a few months ago during the heart of the restoration with all the work!

Continue reading “Major work done this week!”

Painting the grill, fender, and other Jeep items

Painting the grill, fender, and other Jeep itemsMore Painting and small jobs

Another week of smaller jobs here and there getting various items prepped for the eventual return to the Jeep. Some of the larger items, like the fender and grill, have been painted with a final coat of primer and OD Green!

Continue reading “More Painting and small jobs”